Superintendent of Public Works
This department consists of three crews for a total of nine (9) employees who picks up trash from the over 3,000 homes and business in our village. No items can be placed on street for collection earlier than 7PM the evening before collection date.
Tree Planting Program
Curb-side tree plantings will resume in the Spring. If you want to be added to the list for a new tree, please call the Department of Public Works. An inspection will be conducted first to ensure that the site can sustain a new planting. Instructions on the care of your new tree will be provided at the time of planting. Trees are essential for maintaining a healthy environment and the suburban landscape of this community. Trees clean the air, filter dangerous UVA/UVB light, and provide shelter and food for wildlife. We hope you take advantage of the tree planting program.
Winter finally arrived and its arrival came with our first significant snow/wind event in early January. These storm events are a reminder to be ready for the next storm that may come our way. Planning ahead is key to managing any weather event. The Village Code requires that residents and business owners clear their sidewalks of snow/ice within 24 hours of the storm ending. The Department of Public Works plows Village streets, curb to curb. In order to conduct a safe and efficient operation, DPW needs your help and cooperation. Here’s what you can do:
- Do not park on the street during snow events.
- Minimize your travel during snow events. If you must drive, please be patient and cautious.
- Snow from your driveway and sidewalk should be shoveled onto the back, side, or front of your property. Do not throw snow onto the street. Not only is that a dangerous practice, but it’s also against the law. Having snow removal teams return to the same street multiple times increases the cost and time necessary to clear the roads.
- Remove snow from your vehicle while it’s parked in your driveway and certainly before you travel.
- Please allow the snow removal team the time and the space they need to do their job.
Working together, we can make this another successful snow removal season. If you have any questions, please call the Department of Public Works at (516) 354-0064.