Home

OUR VILLAGE LIBRARY

 

The End of an Era

As of Friday, January 26th, 2007 the Village Library located in the lower level of Village Hall was permanently closed.

The Library was granted a provisional charter in 1939 and in 1945, an absolute charter.  So, for more than 61 years, the Village Library has been an active and integral part of the community and has served so many residents.  We wish to thank all the wonderful people who have used our facilities over the years and the many, many people who have become library friends.  

The reason for the closing, as many are aware, is that the Hillside Library has built a new and beautiful state of the art library at 155 Lakeville Road, within the boundaries of the Village.  The holdings from the Hillside and the New Hyde Park    Village Library will be  consolidated.   In addition to the new Hillside Library, the Elmont Library has also build a new library across the street from where they were located before on Hempstead Turnpike.  The residents of the Village of New Hyde Park will now have two brand new and modern libraries at their disposal.   All residents are encouraged to visit the new libraries and utilize the new and expanded facilities.

 

Memories of a Library that once was...............

  

horizontal rule

The New Hyde Park Village Library, located on the lower level in Village Hall, is just such a package. Small in size, yet large in scope, the Village Library offers an impressive collection, with a wide variety of services delivered personally, and professionally, by a dedicated staff.

Opened in 1936, under Mayor Herman S. Baer, the Village Library was supported by card parties and private donations until May, 1937, when the Village Board allotted $500 for the purchase of books. In 1939, a provisional charter was granted by the State of New York, and five Trustees were appointed. The Absolute Charter was granted in December 1948. At the time of the granting of the Absolute Charter, the library possessed 4,000 volumes, with a yearly circulation of 9,141. By 1964, the yearly budget was $20,440.

Today, working with a yearly budget of $150,000, the library boasts an adult collection of 26,778 volumes, and a children’s collection of 12,846 volumes. There is a splendid array of video and audiotapes, and CDs, for many musical tastes. Our reference room is stocked with current material.  We are Internet accessible. We maintain subscriptions to the large daily newspapers, special interest newspapers, weekly local newspapers and various magazines, on a wide variety of subjects.

Our children’s room has a fine collection, updated continuously, and it encompasses primary picture books, intermediate readers and young adult offerings. Programs to involve our youth in reading and literacy are in place both during the school year and in the summertime.

The Library sustains a yearly circulation of 22,966 in printed matter, and 9,370 for its audio-visual collection. The New Hyde Park Public Library is a member of the Nassau County Library System since 1959.

Our reservations desk is open for patrons who need a book that is not immediately available. Clerks will place such patrons on a waiting list, if they wish, or a volume of choice may be ordered from another library via an inter-library loan. Expect courteous, efficient, and, especially, personalized service from your Village Library.

The New Hyde Park Village Library is handicap accessible; there is a ramp for patrons who cannot or choose not to use the stairs. 

 

Send mail to nhpinfo@vnhp.org with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright © 2000 Village of New Hyde Park
Last modified: October 03, 2007